Saturday 4 February 2012

DIY Chalk Dip Dye

A cheap and temporary fix to update your locks…


I have previously talked about the increasing popularity of ombre/dip-dye on my blog, and my gradual development to obtaining this hairstyle myself. However, more recently I have been seeking another change to my hairstyle, evolving the whole idea of dip-dye even further. I have noticed a forthcoming trend of rainbow bright dip-dye so I wanted in, I want the ends of my hair coloured something a little in your face. For instance…pink.
Celebrity Style Spot:
Kate Bosworth Dip Dye
Kate Bosworth
Dakota Fanning Dip Dye
Dakota Fanning
Nicki Minaj Dip Dye
Nicki Minaj
Jessie J Dip Dye
Jessie J

I have previously talked about the increasing popularity of ombre/dip-dye on my blog, and my gradual development to obtaining this hairstyle myself. However, more recently I have been seeking another change to my hairstyle, evolving the whole idea of dip-dye even further. I have noticed a forthcoming trend of rainbow bright dip-dye so I wanted in, I want the ends of my hair coloured something a little in your face. For instance…pink.

Yes you heard correctly, I did say PINK! And I’m talking Avril Lavigne style back in her ‘Sk8r’ days. I can telepathically sense the readers ‘palm over face’ gestures in cringe, but guess what? I’ve done it. I’vecoloured my hair pink.
When I say coloured my hair, I mean it in the most literal sense. Chalk dip dye. Here’s how…
What you need:

  • Hair 
  • Water


and THAT'S ALL.

Sennelier Soft Chalk Pastels


How to:
Take strands of hair and gradually twist them as you rub the chalk pastel up and down the strand. The twisting, creates a deeper, even colour. Take the colour as high up as you like, it is all personal preference –as is your choice of colour.
Be warned, pastels can be messy, dropping onto the surface you do your hair over and even on your clothes. So, make sure to put a towel or paper down to collect the shavings and hairspray lots after to avoid smudging on your nice outfit.
To remove the colour, brush through your hair thoroughly. Repetitive brushing separates the hair strands, taking the majority of colour out. After this, wash as standard and your hair will be back to normal. However, this is not a process to be repeated regularly, as the colouring in the pastels can take out the moisture in your hair, resulting in dry, or even split ends. So make sure you condition well.
For dark hair or just to keep the colour in for a few washes, rather than just one, repeat the exact same process but with damp hair. This intensifies the colour, making it stand out more on a darker shade of hair.
I used this technique for one night out, and all of my friends thought it was really dyed. Everybody was shocked when it was gone the next day! Now your turn, it can be our little ‘Goodness Gracious’ secret.



Give it a go and let me know how you get on. I’d love to hear your feedback.
Some of my readers have sent in images of their chalk dip dye, after reading my post. Take a look for more inspiration:

pink dip dye
@GG_FashionUK
rainbow dip dye
@felthem

blue dip dye
@BridgetMarieee
pink dip dye
@LucyyElizabethh








































GG
x




No comments:

Post a Comment